Tuesday, December 07, 2004

My Poem: How am I doing?

How am I doing? (c) 2004 Ahmed Arsalan
by A. Arsalan
Author's Note:
This is my non-generic answer to the question I encounter every day! I guess I am tired of the fallacy of the expected reply "I'm doing fine...". Well if you really want to know, here is what I have to say.

How am I doing? you ask
This is just my life, nothing much
I've been in and around the block a few times
And yet I turned the same corner twice

Still I am nowhere to be found
I have nothing left to give
I've given my life and my self away
Still I am in the prison of my own emptiness

Life gives hope I guess to some
Life is a bunch of short unrelated episodes
A disconnect. A stack of ingenious events
So I am fine, that should be my answer I guess

My dreams are gone and my enemies are strong
My soul is dark with the burden of my sins
My feet are heavy and laden with mud
My face is blank and my eyes are narrow and half-shut

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a poet! Arsal.

Jian

Arsalan said...

Thanks Jian! And you are a father! I think we are even :)

Anonymous said...

ace!
*faiza*