Friday, December 10, 2004

My Song: As I am told (Hot off the oven!)

As I am told (c) 2004 Ahmed Arsalan
by A. Arsalan


Author's Note: Early morning inspiration on December 10, 2004! This song depicts the feelings of a wife who is being told to fall in line to please her husband.

[A start]
I think by now you should know
I'll never do as I am told
I thought you knew that
I am something you cannot hold
[A end]

[B start]
Why do you try to make me do
All the things you know I hate
Why do you want me to be
The person I don't want to be

Why is it so hard for you
To love me like I love you
No strings attached
And no catch

Why can't we be free
If we are blind, how can we see?
Why do you want control
Over all that comes in your fold
[B end]

[CHORUS start]
I'll never do
As I am told
I will cringe
And I'll be cold

I'll never be
Someone else
I'll never change
Why is it strange?

You have no clue
It's what you do
Why can't you
Just accept me as I am
[CHORUS end]

[X start]
I am a person of my own
I am not your satellite
I have a mind and I am grown
I am not a child

I will resist your mocking tone
I won't back down
I will insist you give respect
Don't show me your frown
[X end]

'Cause I
[Repeat X]
[Repeat B]
[Repeat A]
[Repeat CHORUS til fade]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arsalan: I really like your songs! especially the one where wife addresses her husband!

Keep up with your work. May Allah guide you in your life and all your edeavors.

Darya

Anonymous said...

Innocent dreams, golden heart, rested on thy shattered past,
Sensing the role of freedom above, freed thyself with unchained Love.
Entered thy fantasies, which were mild,
Drove out thy fears, which were wild,
Blessed with Love, serene seemed Life,
With newfound happiness there was no strife,
Till… time played itself dirty again,
And re-played scenes, which were slain….

Fozia

Arsalan said...

Amazing poetry Fozia!